While you can install a new sink or toilet seat on your own, more complex operations and installations demand the services of a qualified professional plumber.
Furthermore, installing a house drainage system or connecting plumbing to a refurbished or new kitchen, as well as any other home additions, takes meticulous craftsmanship.
Here are a few pointers to help you pick a plumber for your home renovation needs.
1. Get Referrals
The best way to find a good plumber is through referrals from people you know and trust. Ask your friends, family, and neighbors if they have any recommendations. Once you have a few names, you can do some research to find out more about each one.
2. Check the Plumber’s State Licensing
It’s important to ensure that the plumber you hire is licensed in your state. You can check this information on the website for your state’s licensing board. In addition, you should make sure that the plumber has liability insurance and workers’ compensation insurance.
3. Ask the Right Questions
Prepare a list of questions to ask potential plumbers before you phone them. Asking them certain questions can help you make a better decision. Inquire about things like:
- How much do you charge each hour?
- Do you charge the customer while waiting for plumbing parts to be delivered on-site?
- How much do you charge for non-plumbing work (like pulling down a wall)?
- Are you married? Do you have liability and workers’ compensation insurance?
- Will the plumber get a plumbing permit for you? (While this is rare, it never hurts to ask.) If your project isn’t time-sensitive, ask the plumber if they may send one of their plumbers during their slack periods.
4. Know Your Plan and Stick to It
Before you start interviewing plumbers, it’s important to have a clear idea of what you want done. Make a list of all the tasks you need completed and any deadlines or budget constraints you may have. When you’re talking to potential candidates, be sure to ask if they’re familiar with the type of work you need done.
5. Remain Flexible
While it’s important to have a clear idea of what you want, you should also be open to suggestions from the plumber. They may have experience with a different type of fixture or material that would work better in your situation.
6. Create a Spreadsheet to Track your Estimates
When you’re getting estimates from different plumbers, it can be helpful to create a spreadsheet to track all the information. This way, you can easily compare the prices and services offered by each one.
7. Obtain a Permit for Plumbing
Depending on the scope of work, you may need to obtain a permit from your city or county. Be sure to ask the plumber if they are familiar with the permitting process and if they will be able to obtain the necessary permits.
If you’re planning any major home renovations, hiring a licensed professional plumber is important. Use the tips above to help you find a qualified candidate for the job.
If you’re looking for the best plumbers in Tulsa, you should call Wooten Knockout Plumbing today. We offer remodeling and new construction plumbing services. Reach out to our team by calling 918-367-8887 today!